Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day #581 The World in a Simple Rug


At the risk of sounding like a pale reflection of something out of Horton Hears a Who, I’d like to tell you about a world I found in a section of rug. This rug has seen better days. It used to be in my daughter’s house. When she was getting ready to toss it out (about 15 years ago), I said, “Naw, don’t do that. I’ll take it off your hands.”

What I actually did was take it off the top of her big blue garbage bin.

I hate to see things wasted.

She’d had various dogs, and later, children. I’ve had various cats. The rug has, as I mentioned, been through a lot and come out--well, I’d say it’s come out pretty well considering all it’s been through.

For some reason, don’t ask me why, I decided to get down on my hands and knees and take a really close look at this entity that has shared my living room, my family room, and now my office for such a long time. I walk across it all day long, but seldom look at it.

Hence the hands-and-knees bit. 

As you can see from the photo, there are quite a few flowers and fanciful leaves on it, each one formed by multiple tiny loops, each loop a specific color. They’re getting rather mushed down.






But then, out of lingering curiosity, I turned back a corner of it. The pattern is just as striking on the other side. 

The colors are softer somehow. I should think they’d be brighter, since they’ve never seen the sun, but the greens aren’t as green. 
Hmm. There probably is some deep philosophical lesson in all this -- something about how the different aspects of a person come out in different ways under different circumstances -- just how much sun has there been in someone’s life?--and so on.

Then again, maybe this is just a rug.

With toes on one edge of it.

There HAS to be a story in that...







BEEattitude for Day #581:
       Blessed are those who let native vines clamber around the yard, for they shall be rewarded by seeing us bees when the flowers bloom.

_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.








2 comments:

AggiePete said...

Sounds like nothing should be taken at 'face value' - just look deeper (and in the case of the rug, turned over ) to see 'the other side'. As for me, I was looking for maybe a 'fuzzy' or 2 on the leaves! Nice rug though .....

Fran Stewart said...

I'm sure there are honey bees on there somewhere. Horton, after all, DID hear a bee -- I mean a who.