Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day #571 Miss Polly and Rabindranath Tagore

I’ve been thinking about death lately--not from any sort of morbid ponderings, but simply as a way of dealing with the fact that Miss Polly, my alarm cat, will be 16 in five more days.  When she came to me as a little rescue kitten, I couldn’t believe we’d have this long an association or that she’d become as much of a treasure to me as she is.

I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do when it’s time for her to go.
The first time a cat of mine died, there were ten others to ease my grief. Gradually, over the years, the numbers have dwindled, and now there are only two. It feels a bit like Agatha Christie’s amazing mystery And Then There Were None.

Just when I was beginning to get a bit depressed, though, I came across a quotation from Rabindranath Tagore (the one who wrote, “God respects me when I work, but God loves me when I sing”) that I'd written on a stray piece of paper -- there are a lot of those in my house...:
"Nirvana is not the blowing out of the candle. 
It is the extinguishing of the flame because day is come.”
--Rabindranath Tagore
I’m going to see a candle every time I look at Miss Polly from now on--for as long as I have with her until she passes into her special day.


p.s. Remember to look for the Super Moon tonight!

BEEattitude for Day #571:
       Blessed are those who appreciate the bees around them, for they shall feel a part of something bigger than themselves.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

4 comments:

AggiePete said...

Miss Polly is truly a blessing for so many years ... and prayerfully more to come. Will be wishing her a very happy birthday in 5 days as well. Miss Polly, I do believe there will be a bowl of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla with your name on it! Love & sweet pats to her. And we will definitely be watching for the Supermoon!

Fran Stewart said...

No, no, no. the Bluebell Homemade Vanilla has MY name on it year-round, regardless of whose birthday it is. Miss Polly will have a bigger-than-usual helping of goat milk. That suits her just fine! And the ice cream suits me.

The Cat Bastet said...

What a beautiful thought! I've been feeling the same way since our Sophie turned 15 on May 1. Thank you for sharing this.

Cathy AJ

Fran Stewart said...

I'm surprised from one day to the next, Cathy. One day Miss Polly will be drooping around as if she hadn't a trace of energy, and the next she's chasing a catnip mouse and growling in triumph at a successful "hunt." Can't figure out cats. Of course, come to think of it, I do pretty much the same -- lackadaisical one day and bouncy the next.

Not too much bounce this month, but by next month I should be back at full speed.