Friday, November 19, 2010

Day #39 Beetles for Breakfast?

Here are some things I'm thinking about:

1. bee types:
Italian Cordovan honeybees are gentle, and they make great honey.
Russian honeybees frequently have an attitude, but they make great honey, too.
Still, why would I deliberately choose grumpy bees?

2. beetles:
Bees in a hive that sits slightly elevated above a concrete slab have a better chance of defending themselves from SHBs (small hive beetles), since the housekeeping bees can grab the beetle larvae as they hatch and throw them out where they will proceed to roast on the sunny concrete (rather than burrowing down into the soil and  multiplying).

3. breakfast:
I apologize if you're eating breakfast while reading this blog entry. You see, I write murder mysteries, and I have a cast-iron stomach when it comes to discussing poison, knives, bullet wounds, and other such gore over a meal. I have to watch myself in a restaurant lest the people at the next table call the cops after hearing me brainstorming about ways to kill off a character. So even something as awful as SHBs (and they are awful, considering what they can do to a hive of bees), is fair game as I sit here writing this post that will be published at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow. Whoops! Did I forget to mention that, as I type away, I'm eating Greek yogurt (from Cabot Farms) with cinnamon on it?  And wondering . . .

Hmm . . . Beetles could add some protein . . .

p.s. Did you read Day #18? It's all about cinnamon and honey.

BEEattitude for Day # 39:
       Blessed are they who eat a good and varied diet, for they shall be healthy. 

One thing I’m grateful for right now:
       My adventuresome spirit and my openness to new ideas.

No comments: