Friday, November 26, 2010

Day #46 Nomophobia

I found a new word! Nomophobia. It certainly wasn't in my Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (published about forty years ago). Usually that old blue book serves my logomanical needs just fine. But English is an evolving language, and we need new words.

Hence http://www.dictionary.com/ and nomophobia. That's a fear that probably creeps up rather often in theaters and at large family gatherings -- if the family matriarch insists on the turning off of cell phones. Nomophobia, you see, is "the fear of being out of cell phone contact" -- certainly not a fear that ever affected me growing up and doesn't worry me now. You see, I enjoy solitude. I am quite capable of leaving my phone behind when I go the The Shakespeare Tavern or a Thanksgiving dinner. That way I can thoroughly enjoy the conversation.

Bees don't have to worry about nomophobia or any other kind of fear. They do their jobs efficiently and quietly (except for the buzzing). That's why I spent part of Thanksgiving day simply sitting on my deck imagining  what the bees and the hives would look and sound like like when they're operating next spring. I had a cup of my favorite Tazo Chai tea in hand, and a good book manuscript to read (the one I'm writing!) What could be better?


BEEattitude for Day # 46:
       Blessed are  those who are complete unto themselves, without electronic gadgets, for they shall be able truly to enjoy the moment. 

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       Thanksgiving leftovers 

No comments: