Monday, August 1, 2011

Day #293 Wholesome Country Farm Chickens


I spent Sunday afternoon with Julie Porath at her Wholesome Country Farm in Buford GA. What an amazing, enlightening experience.

I’ve told you about my long-standing fear of my grandma’s chickens (see day #288 - 7/27/11). Well, I decided to do something about that fear.

I took these pictures of chickens eating at my feet, because I couldn’t hold a bird and take a photo at the same time.

Finally Julie took pity on me and my less-than-fancy phone. She took some pictures of me actually holding a sweet little hen (the tiny gray one - 2nd from the right in the left-hand photo). As soon as she sends them to me I’ll share them with you, but for now I had to spread the good news:

I’m not afraid of chickens anymore ! ! !



The funny thing is that the chickens haven’t changed a bit. They’re still just being chickens. I’m the one who had a change of heart – and it’s all based on education. I was afraid of those birds when I didn’t really know them.

Now that I’ve met some real live chickens, accompanied by a person who was understanding of my fears, I can see how silly I’ve been all these years, carrying around a vision of hens as bloodthirsty harridans.

Thanks Julie! You helped me grow a lot. I'll see you at the next farmer's market -- and I have a gift of two of my books for you!

And, look what I brought home with me!


BEEattitude for Day # 293:
       Blessed are those who help others to grow, for they shall rest in the knowledge that they have made the world a better place.







_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy your print books from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.
my eBooks for Kindle:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Fran+Stewart
my eBooks on Smashwords (for all other formats):  http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Fran+Stewart

No comments: