Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Day #308 Bee Video

My friend Darlene Carter sent me a link to a fascinating bee video, and I wanted to share it with you. I watched the whole thing (all 42 minutes of it, including the commercials).

If you manage to get through to the end, it will be well worth it. There are loads of incredibly-detailed videos of honeybees inside the hive. At the very end you’ll see a brand new baby bee emerging from her cell and being cleaned up by nurse bees. I almost cried seeing it.


There’s one segment in here about bees as artists/sculptors.

You’ll see Dr. Mark Winston and some of his science students in the field experimenting with pheromones by removing a queen bee and observing how long it takes her workers to find her. (Hint: not long!)

Did you know Aristotle was a biologist? News to me!

BEEattitude for Day # 308:
       Blessed are those who are kind to hairy winged creatures, for we shall pollinate their world.

BEEattitude footnote:
     Bees are hairy. Wasps are not.

No comments: