Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day #151 Blueberries

In January I ordered six blueberry plants from the extension service. Their flyer said that the pickup date would be March 10th. That sounded like a very long time to go, so I didn’t bother trying to figure out where I was going to plant them.

All of a sudden, it was MARCH! So I walked my yard and tried to visualize 8’ tall bushes, each of them 4’ wide. I found room for five of them. Fortunately, I have a dear friend whose birthday is today. She has a lonely blueberry bush in her yard, so I asked her if she wanted another one. She said yes.

The pickup place was at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds, and once I found the right entrance, the process was so well-organized. They had dozens of volunteers to gather the plants and help load them into the cars. I’d brought some heavy cardboard boxes along with me. The bushes were anywhere from two to four feet tall. I was very glad the stems were flexible enough for me to fit them in the back seat. Sometimes I miss my old truck.

It’s rained several times over the last few days, so the ground was ready for new plants. And, of course, my compost pile had plenty of good earth that I could mix in with the dirt from the five holes. I managed to get my knees thoroughly muddy, and my fingernails had enough dirt under them to start a whole package of seeds in. I love dirt!


BEEattitude for Day # 151:
       Blessed are the people who fill their yards with plants we bees love, for they shall have gloriously healthy flora.

What Fran is grateful for right now:
       Darlene    



No comments: