Monday, March 28, 2011

Day #167 Screened Bottoms

Check one more thing off my to-do list! Sunday I managed to staple screening onto the bottom of the hive body that will play home to my package of bees in a couple of weeks. I haven’t been able to find any screening with 1/8” squares, so I took two layers of ¼” screening and offset them, then stapled them in place. I hope it works the way it’s supposed to.

The idea is that the various little mites and beetles that bother bees will fall out of the hive through the screening on the bottom. I can just see me going on beetle-patrol, stepping on those suckers when I find them underneath the hives. The screening is supposed to be fine enough, however, to keep out robber bees from other hives. It will also prevent mice from crawling up through the bottom.

Sunday was a busy day. I also dug up some hostas to give to my daughter and to my friend Millie, then planted buckwheat in their place. Presumably, buckwheat flowers last longer than hosta blooms, so the bees ought to be happier. It seems as if everything I do lately ends with the thought I hope this works.

BEEattitude for Day # 167:
       Blessed are those who try, for they shall succeed sometimes.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The New American Shakespeare Tavern, where I saw Two Noble Kinsman last night. One more play to go (Edward III next week), and I will have seen all 39 plays by (or attributed to) Shakespeare.      

No comments: