Monday, November 7, 2011

Day #391 Boxing and Books and Bees

I know I put bees in the title of this post, but actually, other than the BEEattitude at the end, there aren't any bees here today.

My friend and fellow writer Jaclyn Weldon White invited me to the book launch of her most recent biography, The Greatest Champion That Never Was—the story of W.L. Stripling, who was known in the boxing world of the 1920s and 30s as “Young” Stripling.

When W.L. died, 10,000 people attended his funeral. The city of Macon, Georgia closed all the city playgrounds from 4:00 to 5:00 that day in honor of, as White writes, “the man who had been such a glowing example of sportsmanship and athletic excellence.”

It’s refreshing to read about people who are the quintessential good guys. In an age that glorifies so many people for the wrong reasons, reading about Young Stripling brings a tear to my eye and a surge of hope to my heart.

The book launch was hosted by the fine folks at Peerless Bookstore in Alpharetta, a delightful place that is sure to become one of my favorite independent bookstores, and I’ll let you know when I’m headed there to sign my own books.


BEEattitude for Day # 391:
       Blessed are those who read, for whole new worlds shall open to them.

No comments: