Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day #449 Second Day - Whew!


I made it through my second day at the gym—and my first Silver Sneakers Class. The other members of the class were very welcoming – and we started the class by singing Happy Birthday to a member who turned 89 on New Year’s Day.  I figured I could keep up.

Ha!

By halfway through the class I was doing five repetitions for every 8 the instructor counted out. Thank goodness the last exercises were done sitting in a chair!

Then I went out to the treadmills. The woman on a machine across the aisle was reading a book while she walked.  I’ll have to remember to take a book next time. I walked for 15 minutes while I waited for my 1:00 appointment with the Personal Training Manager. 

At 1:00 the manager told me I was in no shape to consider a personal training program. He wasn’t quite that blunt, of course. He diplomatically asked me how I’d enjoyed the Silver Sneakers Class, and when I told him how out of breath I’d gotten, he said I still had a lot of work to do and ought to wait a few months before even considering a trainer.

Suited me just fine. I have to get to where I can keep up with an 89-year-old!


BEEattitude for Day #449:
       Blessed are those who do what they can with what they have, for they shall eventually create honey.

_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

2 comments:

AggiePete said...

Outstanding! And yes, reading a book while walking on that treadmill sounds like a great idea. Wow, 89 years old and working out ... that's how I want to be one day: able to work out in my 80's! Heck, it's tough enough at 63 just walking down the street & back in the neighborhood!! But the benefits outweigh the sore muscles in the end ... or in the calves wherever the pain may be....

Fran Stewart said...

Yeah - I went back today (Wednesday), and he was there again going strong. Quite a role model.