Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day #467 Until the Sled Dogs Sing

I try not to complain about the weather. I figure the only things I have a right to complain about are the things I helped to institute--or tried to prevent. That’s why I vote each year, so I’ll earn the right to comment on what is (or isn’t) happening on the political scene.
That’s why I conserve water, recycle, give blood, and donate to libraries. So I’ll have the right to complain if things don’t go well -- or congratulate myself when they do. After all, I own a piece of the action.
But I don’t complain about the weather, since there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. That ridiculous bumper sticker that says Prevent Global Warming, for instance. Just how am I as an individual supposed to prevent global warming? I reduce, reuse, recycle. I buy local products as much as possible. I drive a fuel-efficient car, and I lump all my errands together so I don’t have to make repeated trips down the same road.
Still, I’m up against large industries spewing out fossil fuel residues by the ton. And I’m up against the Arctic Oscillation. Not much I can do about that.
What is the Arctic Oscillation? I’m glad you asked. My friend Dauna Coulter, a writer for NASA Science News who I’ve quoted before in this blog, explained it quite well this past week. Here’s the email that came to me, since I subscribe to NASA Science News
Winter seems to have been on hold this year in some parts of the United States. Snowfall has been scarce in places that were overwhelmed with the white stuff at the same time last year. In today's story from Science@NASA, JPL climatologist Bill Patzert explains what's going on.
Here’s Dauna’s story. Read it and then decide whether or not you have anything to complain about.
And here’s a video about it:
BEEattitude for Day #467:
       Blessed are those who try to understand the “why” of it all, for they shall find new fields of flowers to explore.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

No comments: