Monday, January 30, 2012

Day #475 Baby Curls

This archiving business is turning up some amazing finds.
Now, maybe you’re more organized than I am, so you’ll think I’m a slob when I tell you all the goodies I’m finding stuffed in the back of closets.
Things like my baby book. I’d forgotten I even had one. Little tendrils of golden baby curls. A picture of my grandmother sitting in her rocking chair, combing her hair before bedtime. My high school diploma (still don’t know what happened to the ones from college--I’ll find them someday). Photos of my big sister sitting with me up on the roof.
I still haven’t found the big metal box filled with slides. That was what I was looking for when I came across the baby book and all these other treasures.
What I’d really like to know, though, is the last name of the young orderly who took care of me for the first four or five days of my life. All I know is that his name was Tony, and he never left me alone the entire time my mother was out of it. I firmly believe he was an angel in disguise, making sure I could sense that I was wanted, at least for those first few days.

Later that week, my mother finally woke up and found out I was a girl rather than the boy she had expected. 
“But, we can’t have a boy,” she said. “I don’t have a boy’s name picked out.”
“Don’t you worry; I have it all taken care of,” my father told her--probably the only time in their whole life together that he got the final say-so.
So, if you know someone named Tony--he would be in his eighties now--who served in a field hospital in California in the late forties, tell him thank you for me. Then email me so I can go visit him.
BEEattitude for Day #475:
       Blessed are those who are open to finding treasures when least expected, for they shall have bright days and large smiles.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

2 comments:

AggiePete said...

I hope you find Tony - that would be such a great reunion! And I wish I were organized too - I believe my book collection is the only thing that's in any kind of order whatsoever. I've got alot of my photographs in boxes, albums etc but what I really need to do is get them out and label who everyone is - that should be a chore for one of my vacation weeks this year!

Fran Stewart said...

Labeling photographs is SO important, but most people don't do it. Instead of thinking of it as a chore, I wish I could think of it as a fun walk down (to be trite) memory lane.