Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day #12 "Handmade Soaps and Beeswax"

While I was in Washington DC last week, I went to the Dupont Circle Farmer's Market on Sunday morning. What a great collection of people who care about the environment. I wandered from stall to stall, talking to everybody. Met some beekeepers, knitters, soapmakers. You name it, there was someone there selling it.

The soap I bought is made from an olive oil base. It's probably just as well it doesn't contain beeswax. It's very hard to buy beeswax that isn't polluted with some amount of toxins, since beekeepers for so long have medicated their bees, and the meds pass right into the wax the bees excrete. Not from that end! The wax comes from special glands on the front of their tummies.

Back to the soap - here's their website, in case you're interested:
http://www.harmonycreekfarm.com/

I think I'll be okay once I actually have my bees. They don't like smelly stuff like hairsprays (neither do I) or heavy perfumes, but the soap fragrance is light and wonderful. I'll let you know next spring what the bees think of it.

Beeattitude for Day #12:
   Blessed are they who come to us not wearing perfumes or hair spray, for they shall not confuse us.

No comments: