Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day #113 Medieval Persian Poet

When I was in college, I came across the translation of a poem by a medieval Persian poet. A few days ago, I came across a scrap of paper with the poem scribbled on it.

Back flooded the memories not only of the poem, but also of the circumstances under which I first found it. It was spring. I was madly in love with someone who did not know I existed. I pined over the unrequited love. I memorized poems by the dozen. Some of them I still recall even now, umpty years later.

Here’s the one by the Persian Sheikh:

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft
And from thy slender stores
Two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul."
                                        --Sheikh Moslih Eddin Saadi

I decided to add some hyacinth bulbs to my plant order. My bees would like that, don't you think?

BEEattitude for Day # 113:
       Blessed are the [good] poets, for their work shall endure, but why don't they write about us bees?

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The crock-pot macaroni and cheese my grandson and I cooked Tuesday. Leftovers are great!    

Happy Groundhog Day

No comments: