Monday, December 6, 2010

Day #56 Rockin' Gospel Singing

Well, Saturday and Sunday were great fun. The Gwinnett Choral Guild gave two concerts. The music was challenging, and I was astonished at how much sound came out of my old lungs. We just got started singing and sang our hearts out.

In case you're interested, we started with three different versions of the Magnificat. High-falootin' stuff. Organ music - which I can't stand, so don't ever give me an organ CD, but I must admit the volume was impressive.

Then we sang some more traditional Christmas songs - White Christmas, Sleigh Ride, things like that - interspersed with performances by the Georgia Young Men's Ensemble, a phenomenal group of young guys from 6th grade through high school (and even a couple of college guys who enjoy singing with the group so much, they keep on attending rehearsals).

We ended up with yet another Magnificat -- this one The Gospel Magnificat by Robert Ray. Soul music at its best. We had the place rocking both concerts. I ended up energized and exhausted both. Love singing with that group!

Have I mentioned that I plan to sing to my bees once I get them here? I think that makes sense. I wonder if they'd prefer classical or jazz? I'm pretty good at elevator music, too, but if they want rock or rap, they'll have to hear that in somebody else's back yard.

BEEattitude for Day # 56:
       Blessed are those who make music, for we shall enjoy their buzzing. 

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The GCG's director, Phillip Shoultz, who can pull more music out of us than we knew was in there. 

No comments: