Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day #79 Bee vision

Don't count on red flowers to attract bees. Bees can't see them.

I know. That surprised me, too, when I read it in The Beekeeper's Handbook. Bees, apparently, can see orange, yellow, blue-green, blue, violet, and ultraviolet (the last of which we mere humans cannot see). Plants that need bees for pollination will most likely have flowers in this color range. If they don't, they're out of luck, for the honeybees will pass them by.

My first objection, when I read the list of acceptable colors was, "Wait a minute! I've seen all sorts of photos of bees on white daisies." Smart me? Nope! Take a look at these pictures:



White petals, yes, but look at those great big ORANGE centers.


I still plan to plant some Lonicera sempervirens, though. For the hummingbirds!


BEEattitude for Day #79 :
       Blessed are the artists, for they shall dance with color 

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The enthusiasm of my grandkids as we made cookies last Monday, and the rocks they decorated for me 

No comments: