Friday, December 31, 2010

Day #80 Happy New Year's Eve

Do you ever wonder how animals manage to adapt to fireworks?

We used to have dogs who freaked out so much they tore apart the inside of the car one New Year's Eve when we were dumb enough to take them with us to the fireworks display.

Now my cats get wide-eyed when the various booms and crashes go off, although they tend to take their cue from my sense of calm and finally settle down to -- what else? -- a cat nap.

I saw a bird scared off her nest on my front porch one Fourth of July by neighborhood firecrackers--and her babies died in the cool night air, since most songbirds have no night vision to speak of and can't find their way back to the nest.

I generally read late into the evening, since it's hard to sleep with the explosions a mile and a half from my house. The next morning I wake up happy and greet the new year.

No matter how you choose to spend this evening, I hope you'll say a little prayer for the frightened animals.

BEEattitude for Day # 80:
       Blessed are they who refrain from scaring us, for we shall live longer and make more honey for them. 

What Fran is grateful for right now:
       The past year, the year to come, and this very moment.

No comments: