Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day #70 Protective Clothing

"There is no stigma attached to wearing protective equipment; it will save you and your visitors a lot of worry if you are properly prepared to look through colonies without the fear of being stung."

So says The Beekeeper's Handbook, which I've quoted numerous times in this blog. I was caught by that phrase "there is no stigma." And I disagree with it. Having talked to a lot of beekeepers over the past few months, I've noticed that the ones who say

"Of course, I never use veils"

generally have an underlying pride in those words, as if they belong to an exclusive club, the Anti-Veil Society.

"You can use a veil if you're afraid."
"I just scrape out the stinger and keep working."
"Don't be ashamed if you have to use a veil."

Well, until I'm really, really used to my bees, I will use a veil, without any feeling of inferiority. The risk of receiving a sting on my eyelid (or getting an inquisitive bee stuck in my ear) is a bit more than I can stand.

I'll be buying veils in the next few weeks. I did buy three used veils -- a real mistake, as they turned out to be in need of such major repairs, they're not worth the effort. I wonder if I could ask for my money back?

BEEattitude for Day # 70:
       Blessed are those who ask for what they need, for they shall receive. 

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       Warm curtains over cold windows.

No comments: