Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day #78 Introductions


Two Honey Bees

I love introductions. That's where most authors say what they really want to say, the way I did on Day #1 of this blog. In most books, the intro sets the tone of what is to come.


As I browsed yet again through The Beekeeper's Handbook yesterday, I thought to re-read the intro. Diana Sammataro, who co-authored the book, wrote:

Although considered to be a "gentle art," beekeeping in reality can be physically demanding and strenuous. The typical picture of a veiled beekeeper standing beside the hive ... does not show the aching back, sweating brow, smoke-filled eyes, or painful stings.

Worker Bees and Capped Brood

And I went ahead and decided to try beekeeping anyway, although I still have not figured out how to get my smoker to stay lit. Four more months to practice!

Come May, June, and July, I hope I'm still singing the praises of bees. And I hope I'll eventually have some honey to make up for the ache, the sweat, the smoke, and the ouchies.

BEEattitude for Day # 78:
       Blessed are they who persevere, for we shall produce honey enough and they shall be rewarded. 

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       People who write truly helpful books. 

Photos are from the public domain

No comments: