Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day #69 Bees, rain, and geese

Saturday morning it rained and rained and rained.

If I were a bee, I'd have a problem with that. Bees with wet wings can't fly. That's why some beekeepers spray their bees with sugar syrup to calm them down. I'm not sure it calms them; it simply immobilizes them.

So, what am I going to do next Spring when I get my bees if it rains for days on end, the way it did in Atlanta last year? Feed them, for sure, and hope they have the good sense to come in out of the rain and stay dry.


The trouble is, I like cloudy, rainy days. It's my vitiligo -- I have no melanin in my skin, so I can't tan, and I sunburn easily. That means that what I like is different from what my bees will like.

 I don't even have them yet, and I'm worrying about them like a mother goose clucking at her goslings.

Quack!


BEEattitude for Day # 69:
       Blessed are those who plants lots of flowers and vegetables, for their yards shall be well-pollinated.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       Sunny days in the winter and cloudy days in the summer. 


No comments: