Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day #519 How Loud is a Raven?

Would you believe Dr. Bernd Heinrich has heard ravens gathering around a wolf-killed moose carcass from a mile away?
That’s all he had to say about that.
I’ve told you before that I have ravens that visit my yard, but Dr. H said he’d never heard of ravens in the Atlanta area. So now, I have to figure out how to get a picture of those big black birds. A birder who attended the same lecture I did spoke with me afterwards and said if I could get photos, she’d be happy to try to identify them. “And if they ARE ravens,” she said, “I want to see them!”
I always thought that crows hopped and ravens walked. I even taught that to my grandchildren.
“No,” Dr. H told me, “Some crows can walk.”
Phooey. Guess I was wrong.
Of course, now that I think about it, why would meat-eating ravens be interested in the ground around the bottom of my bird feeder?
Unless they’re after the earthworms.
BEEattitude for Day #519:
       Blessed are those who get their facts straight, for they shall have to apologize less often.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

No comments: