Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day #506 WMES Walls

For more than a year I've been watching the walls of the library in Woodward Mill Elementary School take shape as professional muralist Kristie Chamlee works her magic on them.

She started by simply painting the top blue. Since the walls are 14 feet tall, it was a bit of a challenge.



Then she progressed through various stages, and I watched them all develop. 


You can see she's added clouds and land here...












And then trees and a barn.

She had great fun drawing a red birdhouse around the fire alarm you can see in the picture to the right, changing it from this:






 to this:



If you'd like to see the evolution in more complete form, this link is to her blog post about it. Of course, that was all last year. This year, she's painting the remaining walls of that huge room, and it's spectacular. Just yesterday I dropped in and took this picture of the waterfall over in the back corner.


And then there's the picture of the Woodward Mill water wheel in the reading alcove.



One question: how do you fill up bean bag chairs that have gone flat?


BEEattitude for Day #506:
       Blessed are those who make the world a more beautiful place, for their names shall be sung in thanks.  

3 comments:

The Cat Bastet said...

Re bean bag chairs: you can buy bags of the "beans" at Wal-Mart. They are incredibly staticy but worth it.

AggiePete said...

The walls are unbelievable! And I love the fire alarm bird house!Going to her blog on my lunch hour - thank you so much.

Fran Stewart said...

Petie- I particularly love the bird house as well. Think it's cuter than the dickens.

And Cathy - I never shop at WalMart; I have a vendetta against them after what they did when they moved into Vermont. We fought for years, but they had more money and more lawyers than we did. Still, now that I know the beans are available, I'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the tip.