Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day #82 Dog-sitting

Why have I not been talking a whole lot about bees recently? Well, for one thing, it's cold outside, and this time of years bees spend their time in a cluster keeping themselves warm. I'm spending an inordinate amount of time keeping warm myself, since I've been in a writing frenzy recently, and sitting at my desk doesn't get the blood circulating.

I've also been dog-sitting, driving 3 miles each way twice a day to feed and water Belle and Max. And, of course, go on poop patrol with them. I wish I could truly appreciate just how much information these dogs can amass through their noses. Sniffing EVERYTHING is a mission, a purpose, a calling. Or maybe it's just that everything smells so much.

I wonder how bees smell?

I remember sniffing my own forearm a lot when I was a kid, intrigued by the scent. I tried to talk my mother into sharing the joy once, but she turned up her nose and didn't comply. So I had to laugh last night when Belle sniffed one particularly odorous (for her) patch of grass and then looked up at me as if to say, "Okay, it's your turn now." I, like my mother, declined, even though I couldn't see any noticeable poop-lumps there. Now, sitting here, I wonder what new world might have opened to me if I'd knelt down and put my nose to the earth.

I think I'd rather just imagine it instead of doing it.

BEEattitude for Day # 82:
       Blessed are they who are open to new experiences, for they shall be happily surprised. Go smell some dirt, Frannie!

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The boundless enthusiasm of Belle and Max, and their joy when I walk in the door.

No comments: