Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day #95 Walking, Driving, Flying


Well, the power hasn't gone out yet, so all those posts I wrote ahead of time simply meant that, while I was sitting snug at home, unable to drive anywhere, I had more time to write. Sheer heaven for a writer, to be given all that time by Mama Nature.

Five days after the Sunday night snow storm, the Georgia schools are still closed,
as are government offices and just about everything else. If we were bees, we'd just cluster together and vibrate to stay warm. But we're not bees. We need to go farther than the five-mile radius that bees fly in the summer. And we still need to get places in the winter. So, when something like this snow comes along, we're STUCK. We live in a car-centered culture, where just about everywhere we need to go is farther than walking distance. In fact, our idea of what walking distance is has changed drastically over the years.

I walked to school each day when I was a kid. Some years it was more than a mile. I never stepped into a school bus until I was a senior in high school, when we lived on a base that had no schools, so we Air Force brats were sent on a bus to Mascoutah, the nearest town.

Now, I live within two miles of a grocery store, but would I consider walking there and back to buy my groceries? No. And I'm within four miles of the library -- ceertainly a walkable distance. But again, I wouldn't dream of walking. Why? There aren't any sidewalks for more than half that distance. And no decent shoulder to walk on. I believe in walking for my health and because it feels good, but I'm not willing to put my life in danger in order to do it.

So, I guess I'll drive. As soon as I can get on the road. When ever that will be.

BEEattitude for Day # 95:
       Blessed are the animals that walk and the animals that fly and even the people who drive. We bees know that how we get around isn't as important as what we do when we get there.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The skylight that finally isn't covered with snow anymore.    


No comments: