Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day #365 Blue Ridge Honey Company

Tuesday evening, Bob Binnie spoke at our Gwinnett County Beekeepers meeting. Bob’s a commercial beekeeper, who’s been in the business since 1981,

He and his wife own the Blue Ridge Honey Company. His talk was fun, informative, and interesting from start to finish. I came home from the meeting and went right to his website -  www.blueridgehoneycompany.com .

On his FAQs page, I found all sorts of interesting tidbits that I’ll be sharing with you over the next few days.

Here’s one:

What is beeswax used for?
Beeswax is used in candles and ornaments, lip balm, cosmetics and medicinal creams, as foundation for new honeycomb in bee hives, and in sewing to lubricate needles and thread. Beeswax keeps belts in vacuum cleaners, sewing machines and other tools from slipping. It is used to waterproof shoes, fish line and clotheslines, to lubricate doors, windows and tools, on skis, toboggans and bow strings, in furniture or floor polish, and so much more...

Are you using beeswax without knowing it?


BEEattitude for Day # 365:
       Blessed are those who share what they know and who listen when others share, for they shall all increase the wisdom of the hive.

p.s. from Fran: 365 days???? My gosh, have I really been blogging for an entire year?

_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.
my eBooks for Kindle:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Fran+Stewart
my eBooks on Smashwords (for all other formats):  http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Fran+Stewart




5 comments:

AggiePete said...

Where did a year go??? I can't believe it's already been a year! But so many neat blogs, stories, photos. And I'm sure we use beeswax every day - I know I use my lip balm alot!!!

Fran Stewart said...

@ Petie - Me too! My lip balm is a NECESSITY!

I've pretty much given up on lipstick. I've never found one that didn't a)turn purple on me or b)dry out my lips.

Of course, this way, I never have to worry about color-coordination!

AggiePete said...

You sound like me! I'm so fair skinned everything looks too dark. I'm fascinated, though, by everything that does, in fact, contain beeswax. Amazing. And we love our honey anyway!!! I think we eat it on just about everything - my week-end mornings are not complete without my eggs, toast, a tad of sausage & my honey! Dang, now I'm hungry and still at the office!!

Fran Stewart said...

In VIOLET AS AN AMETHYST, Bob will learn the value of eating local honey -- so much so that he's going to start taking a little jar of honey and some crackers to work with him. There's got to be a reason for that bottom drawer on most desks!

Maybe you could copy his new behavior???

AggiePete said...

Copy? I do that already!!!
Honey on a Ritz or graham cracker ... yum!!! Can hardly wait to read the honey of a book!!!