Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day #373 Bee Dreams

My mother lived through the Great Depression. She used to tell me stories about how she would get her hands on a Sears & Roebuck catalog, and go through it circling item after item, turning down the page corners to mark especially winsome articles of clothing or particularly striking pieces of household goods. After she’d marked hundreds of dollars worth of purchases, she’d dust her hands off and go back to work.

Eventually the catalog would end up in the outhouse and be put to very good use indeed.

I do that with J. Peterman Company catalogs. Not the outhouse part, but most definitely the turning down of pages. I don’t order very often, but ah! the dreaming is magnificent.

On rainy days, like the last few have been here in Georgia, I wonder what the bees dream about. Do they carry in their little bee brains a catalog of winsome tastes in nectars, exquisite varieties of pollen, and the very safest locations for retrieving water?

I hope so.


BEEattitude for Day # 373:
       Blessed are those who put foundations under their castles in the air, for they shall sense accomplishment.

_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.
my eBooks for Kindle:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Fran+Stewart
my eBooks on Smashwords (for all other formats):  http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Fran+Stewart


4 comments:

AggiePete said...

We do the same dreaming with a Neiman Marcus catalog! And I'm sure little fuzzies have their own dreams & thoughts too. ...time for my honey on a Ritz!!!

Fran Stewart said...

I haven't had a Ritz cracker in ages, and all of a sudden I'm drooling for one. Never tried them with honey, so there's something to look forward to the next time I go shopping.

nortone said...

My cousin, who is 7 years older than I, likes to tell the story of how,when my mother was pregnant, she picked me out of a Sears & Roebuck calalog. So I have Sears to blame/praise for all I am!

Fran Stewart said...

Looks like Sears Roebuck had anner in that catalog, Ellen. Glad they found you there!