Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day #483 Philae and Rosetta


My e-friend Dauna Coulter has done it again (as she always does in her articles for NASA Science News). She’s made a little-known scientific project not only understandable, but lyrical as well.

NASA's Rosetta Project, as Dauna explains it, is a romantic plan for landing on a comet (not-so-romantically named 67P) some time in November of 2014.
Why do I call this a romantic plan? [And I must mention here that romantic was my term for the project, not Dauna’s.] I’m glad you asked, though. The lander, the little craft that will descend to the surface of the comet while Rosetta orbits a mere kilometer above, is named Philae. Philae is an island in the Nile River, the site of an obelisk that  helped to decipher the Rosetta Stone.
I just love to read proof not only of the knowledge of scientists, but their literacy as well. And I don’t mean that to sound condescending. I’d truly like to meet the person who came up with the Philae/Rosetta tie-in. Just as the Rosetta Stone unlocked the secret language of hieroglyphics, good ole Philae is set to help us decipher the mysteries of what comets are and where (and when) they come from.
Here are the links to the whole story, if you’re interested:
A video version of this story is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoePrO4-fGQ
BEEattitude for Day #483:
       Blessed are those who fly to new fields, for they shall find nectar in abundance.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

No comments: