Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day #484 Please Send Good Thoughts to My Elliebug


So, am I going to write something brilliant this evening?
In a word, one word, No.
Yesterday, on the way home from Rancho Alegre, where I bought organic carrots and yummy blackberry yogurt and a few other things as well, my sweet little polka-dotted car died on me. Thank goodness I wasn’t in the fast lane of Highway 316 when it happened. I pulled over, let her sit for a few moments, and started her back up.
Called my mechanics -- Ray and Dan at AutoStop. Told Ray the service engine soon light had come on when the engine died. “Bring it here now, if not sooner,” he said.
Called my blessed daughter and asked her to meet me at the shop. 
The car stopped again, but once more I pulled over and let it sit a minute before starting up again. As my daughter headed my way, though, up busy Highway 20, she spotted me stopped, for the third time, beside the road. This time a wonderful young man named Tyler stopped to help. He managed to get the battery out and directed us to Reilly’s Tire Center, which was just on the other side of the road set back at the end of a shopping center.
Veronica and I drove my battery over there and had it tested. “Dead,” the testing machine proclaimed. No, I take that back. It didn’t say Dead. It said, “Bad.”
Poor little battery. Being judged by a machine.
At any rate, we went back with a new battery to where Elliebug still stood beside the road, placed the battery inside the hood, and couldn’t get the blinkin’ plastic covers off the terminals. Finally another very kind man took pity on us and searched his car for a screwdriver.
Veronica drove behind me on that final fateful mile and a half to AutoStop. I heaved a huge sigh of relief as I pulled into the driveway.
What’s the verdict? No idea. But once I find out, I’ll let you know.
Bees are lucky. They never have to worry about batteries or alternators or gears or brakes or broken windshields or empty gas tanks or …
Of course, they have to worry about marauding birds and skunks and bears and …
I think I’ll be happy where I am.
BEEattitude for Day #484:
       Blessed are those who take the time to lend a wing, for they shall feel better about themselves and shall fly straighter as a result.
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

2 comments:

AggiePete said...

Not EllieBug! Not to worry too much - these days AutoStop will fix her good as new - we have to believe that and then you & she will be back out & about!!! We will definitely send good thoughts your way ... and EllieBug's way too! Let us know when she's back home.

Fran Stewart said...

Thank you, Petie!