Monday, April 4, 2011

Day #174 Honey Medicine

I've been reading a book called Honey: Gourmet Medicine by Joe Traynor. I bought it through Mann Lake, a beekeeping supply company.

Very interesting information about the ways in which honey can be used to combat diseases and disorders. That sort of information isn’t valued much in this country, since we seem to be at the mercy of the pharmaceutical industry.

Don’t get me wrong. There is a place for antibiotics. But using them as a first line of defense instead of as a last resort has led to the creation of super-microbes, resistant to almost any medicine we can throw at them.

Honey, on the other hand, does not attack germs, so it doesn’t lead to any sort of resistance. It simply creates an environment where the germs cannot live. Smart, eh? Traynor even referred to a doctor in the 30s who used honey to treat patients who had cataracts. A drop of honey in each eye at night (even though it stings a bit), and rinse the eye out in the morning. Cataracts gone. It sounded like a good idea to me, and if it worked, would sure beat surgery.

The trouble with honey is that anyone can access it, and it can’t be patented, so it’s not worth the efforts of the drug industry to package.

I use it on scratches and cuts to prevent infection.

Give it a try. It’s medicine you can eat.



BEEattitude for Day # 174:
       Blessed are those who give honey a try, for they shall live in better health.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       My e-book royalties. I’m so glad people are reading my books!   

No comments: