Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day #184 Ask the Expert

They’re right – a little knowledge IS a dangerous thing.

Tuesday evening, the Gwinnett Beekeepers Club hosted Dr. James Ellis, from the University of Florida. He brought his boundless enthusiasm for entomology, and a Power Point show so we could visualize what he was talking about.

All those things I’ve been telling you about small cell foundation – absolutely no scientific basis to it at all. Jim said that most of the beliefs about honey bees are based on hearsay. “This is what I hear, so I’ll say it again” . . . and suddenly it’s believed to be scientific fact. His department tests all sorts of things about honey bees, so he ought to know.

Still, I cling to the belief that small cell foundation is the way to go – simply because it’s closer to the way the honey bees would build their comb if people weren’t interfering. So, I’ll use the SCF, whether or not it encourages the bees to be more happy and healthy than they would be on the super-duper size.

At least Dr. Jim said I wouldn’t hurt the bees one way or the other. Good!

I didn’t happen to mention to him about hearing that singing to the bees keeps them calmer. If I’d told him that, he probably would have rolled his eyes. I’ll just do my singing anyway, but I’m not going to tell anyone – except you – that I’m doing it.

BEEattitude for Day # 184:
       Blessed are those who sing to us regardless of what the experts say, for happy singers are always blessed.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The Atlanta Pen Women, who met in our nature garden at Stone Mountain yesterday and wrote lots of haiku. We also laughed a lot.

No comments: