Monday, April 25, 2011

Day #195 I'm in Trouble

I tried Sunday afternoon to open the white hive, just to check and be sure it wasn’t time to put another layer on top so they could expand.

I lit the smoker without a hitch.

I used my hive tool to loosen the lid.

I lifted the lid about half an inch.

Whoops! It was way too heavy. I could see through the feeder hole on top that the frames were coming up along with the lid. Those busy little worker bees have glued the frames to the lid! I’d need about six hands in order to fix this problem.

You see, I’ll HAVE to get the lid off eventually, because that will be the only way to make room for another hive body on top of this one. If I can’t get the lid off, those bees are going to swarm when they begin to get too crowded, and that could be fairly soon.

“What did you do, Fran?”

 I’m glad you asked. I settled the lid back down, hoping I wasn’t squashing anybody. Then I sent out a panicked email to bee club members asking for help. Of course, it was Easter Sunday, so I figured I wouldn’t hear from anyone that day. But I sure hope I hear soon.

I don’t want to deal with a swarm this early in the season.  In the meantime, I went and played for a while in the garden.


BEEattitude for Day # 195:
       Blessed are those who answer questions or lend a hand, for they shall keep our beekeeper calm.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The lovely dinner I had at my daughter’s house. I so enjoy being with them.  


No comments: