Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day #177 Cappings on the Cells

I can’t wait to see the different types of cell capping that will be in the hive once my bees get busy.

Cells that are capped (covered over) with brownish wax hold the brood, the baby bees.

White caps  indicate honey within. And I still feel somewhat nervous about how I’m ever going to deal with extracting the honey from the frames. But I’ll deal with that when the time comes.

Big fat dome-like cappings mean that there are baby drones within.

Cells packed with yellow stuff but not capped over hold the pollen, which provides protein for the babies.

I’ll be getting them next week. Can I borrow a camera from somebody, and will you come take the pictures while I’m trying to convince 12,000 bees to go into a yellow box?


BEEattitude for Day # 177:
       Blessed are the environmentally-minded, for they shall help make this world a better place for all of us bees – and for you people, too.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       Being able to figure out PowerPoint for a writer's seminar/webinar I’ll be teaching on April 16th  at Booklogix    




2 comments:

The Cat Bastet said...

Fran, if I lived close AND didn't have a bee phobia, I would take pictures for you. BTW, your blog is helping me appreciate these busy little critters. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to look at real ones (pics don't bother me much)!

Best wishes with your baby bees.

Cathy Akers-Jordan

Fran Stewart said...

Thank you, Cathy. I'm so glad you're beginning to appreciate the little girls for all the hard work they do. And I'm gratified indeed that I've helped the process along.