Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day #189 Only Time Will Tell

I hope the hive location on my deck is going to be okay for the bees.

The trouble is that the house blocks the sunlight until about 9:30 in the morning. On Monday morning, when the sun hit the yellow hive (the one in which I installed the package of bees on Sunday), they woke right up and came streaming out into the daylight. Before that, I guess they were too chilly. But the white hive was still awfully quiet, so I moved it a foot or so to the side, closer to the yellow one, into the sunlight. Then those bees became a bit more active, but they’re still not flying around as much as the yellow-hive bees.

Of course, once the true heat of summer has hit Georgia (and I do mean hit, because it can feel like a sledgehammer), then maybe the early morning shade from the house and the afternoon shade from the deciduous trees to the west will keep the bees from having to work so hard to cool the interior.

Only time will tell.


BEEattitude for Day # 189:
       Blessed are children, for they shall lighten up the world.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       My dentist, Dr. Harry Gentry    

No comments: