Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day #551 Reel Mowers

One of the loveliest sounds in my memory of childhood is the snip, snip, snip of lawnmowers on a Sunday afternoon as my dad tooled around the yard. Reel lawnmowers. The kind you push. The kind you don’t have to turn on. The kind that doesn’t take gas or electricity. The kind I have sitting in my garage.
There’s a “reel” adventure to mowing my yard. I don’t have to wear earplugs, which means I can hear the squirrels scolding me for getting near t"heir" birdseed at the bottom of the feeder.


I can hear the rustling as a neighbor’s cat bursts from underneath the Vinca major

. . . 


. . . 


(which is in danger of taking over the whole yard)

. . . 


. . .



and heads over toward the Hydrangea quercifolia (oak leaf hydrangea) to hide there until I disappear..
























I can hear the wind blowing through the trees above me.



Of course, I stop frequently to unstick the reel from the pines cones that get wedged in it. But that’s okay. That way I get to look closer at the native red clover to see if any honey bees have found it yet. Any day now, I hope.









BEEattitude for Day #551:   
       Blessed are those who move slowly through life, for they shall see wonders all around them
_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my books:  http://www.franstewart.com Please buy them from an independent bookstore or directly from my website.

No comments: