Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day #205 Lids in the Rain

When I took off the feeding jars last Monday after Tommy told me that the hives were doing fine without supplemental feeding, I left the lids in place so there wouldn’t be a jar-lid-sized hole in the top of the hives. Each lid, of course, had two or three teeny holes poked into it so the bees could lick the sugar water from underneath.

When it started raining Tuesday night, I fortunately recalled those holes. I grabbed a dry dish towel, some aluminum foil and my big umbrella.

Try crimping aluminum foil around the rim of an upside-down jar lid one-handed.

It doesn’t work.

So, I set the umbrella down, sopped up the water sitting in the lids, and secured the aluminum foil.

Inside again, I was soaking wet and thoroughly happy.

What I do for these bees . . .

Next time rain is forecast, I’ll replace the hole-y lids with solid ones. In the meantime, I’ve taken off the aluminum foil so the bees can have a little more ventilation for all that moisture they’re fanning out of the nectar. Wouldn’t want to slow down their honey-production.


BEEattitude for Day # 205:
       Blessed are those who are willing to commit themselves to important causes, for they shall feel good about themselves.

One thing Fran is grateful for right now:
       The breeze coming in through open windows

No comments: