Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day #212 Dead Tree Art

Some time ago I had three dead maples cut down. The resulting light and extra root space has been very good for my tulip poplar tree (and the resultant pollen the bees enjoyed).

I promised you that, when I figured out how to get the pictures out of the camera, I’d show you the starburst patterns formed by the dead channels at the heart of the tree.

Here they are.  The first one is an angled cut.


Firewood ready for splitting.

Amazing, eh?

When I look at the beauty in these dead pieces of wood, I can’t help but think about my mother, who died 8 years ago today. It was the day after mother’s day. My sister and I chose not to have her embalmed, and her dead body was beautiful in much the same way that this wood is beautiful. Years later, when it was time to write Indigo as an Iris, I wanted to share this experience with my readers, so I wrote about green funerals and about the gentle look of bodies that are not filled with embalming chemicals.

Now, when I find a dead bee on the deck, I gently tuck it underground, knowing that it will become food for the trees that sustain the bee hive community.
BEEattitude for Day # 212:
       Blessed are those who take care of the trees, for they shall enjoy shade, and we bees shall bless those people with honey.


_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my ebooks on Amazon for Kindle
my ebooks on Smashwords (for all other formats)

No comments: