Friday, June 10, 2011

Day #241 Bad News / Good News

Let me start by proclaiming that my bees didn’t do it!


On Wednesday morning I went to my friend Geri’s house, at her request, to help her do a hive inspection. Right in the middle of the process, one of her bees stung me on my left hand, on that web between my thumb and my index finger.

Not a problem. I scraped it off, being careful not to squeeze the sac, and kept going. Not half a minute later, another bee stung me in the same location – but on my right hand. A matching set of stings. Once again, I scraped off the little dangling venom sac, and continued helping Geri.

By the time I got home, both hands were red and itchy, but not enough to slow me down.

By Thursday, they were swollen. My normally slim hand was taking on the aspects of a red balloon. So I stopped by the Publix pharmacy and bought an antihistamine. Came home. Took one. And the swelling headed up the inside of my wrist.

I have no idea whether the bee sting or the antihistamine is to blame.

I’ll be heading to the doc on Friday, and I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Now, the good news: Thursday around noon I checked both my hives (and didn’t get stung even once, I’ll have you know). I put a honey super on top of the yellow hive, filled with those frames I assembled a few days ago That about good timing! Here it is with all three layers. The other hive is just squeaking along. They still have a lot of comb to draw out before they’ll need another layer.




BEEattitude for Day # 241:
       Blessed are those who conduct short, efficient meetings, for they shall be loved by the attendees.




_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my eBooks on Amazon for Kindle
my eBooks on Smashwords (for all other formats)




No comments: