Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day #261 Free Plants and the Arbor Foundation

Speaking of birds, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the trees my friend Millie gave me when I bought this house six (seven?) years ago. They came (little more than long sticks) from the Arbor Foundation, but now they’re 8 or 10 feet tall. One, a golden rain tree, is a favorite perching place for the birds as they wait their turn at the feeding stations.

It’s turned out to be a favorite of the bees, too, with its airy yellow blooms. There are three of my bees and a couple of darker neighborhood bees on this branch. Bumble bees like the flowers too.










And the birds planted a whole patch of sunflowers from leftover seeds they dropped. Here’s one sporting a Bumble bee and a couple of buzzy little friends.










Three or four years ago, a neighbor said they were taking out a bunch of flowers – did I want any? Sure! So I now have a patch of triple-fringed daylily that the bees have been visiting religiously. There are four bees on this one, even though all you can see is the big guy.










And, finally, my very first crop of blueberries. These plants weren’t free, but they did come from the Gwinnett County Extension Service last March. Oops! The picture isn’t of the whole first crop. I already ate quite a bit of it. These I saved for breakfast tomorrow.



By the way, did you hear about the canary that caught a case of the chirpies? The vet said it was
...
...
...
scroll down  
...
...
...
keep scrolling...
...
...
...
...

Tweetable!

BEEattitude for Day # 261:
       Blessed are those who see the beauty in cast-offs, for they shall discover wonders.

_______________________________ 
The teeny details:
my eBooks on Smashwordss (for all other formats):  http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Fran+Stewart

No comments: