Friday, September 2, 2011

Day #326 An Evening with Frannie


If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you’ll know I don’t have a TV set. No entertainment center. No fancy furniture.

Ah! But I have Netflix, and I play the DVDs on an old outdated computer with a monitor that’s only about that wide – if I sit close enough I can see what’s going on.

I also have a sliding glass door that goes out onto my deck where the beehives are. When I watch a movie in the evening, the light from the room (I always have the overhead lights on while I’m watching a movie – can’t stand a darkened room with a glaring screen, even if it is only a little one), that light attracts stray bees to the sliding glass door.

And somehow or other a few of them are getting inside. This evening (Friday night), this is how it went:

About thirty minutes into the movie I heard a bzzz-bzzz-bzzz. A bee, about four feet from my head, was walking up the curtain. I hit pause, picked up the plastic container I keep on the coffee table for just this purpose, placed it over the bee, and slid a piece of paper underneath the jar, being careful not to trap the bee’s little feet in the process.

“Bzzz-bzzzz-bzzzzzz,” she said.

“I know, I know, I’ll get you back outside.”

I went to the door, slid the curtain back, and saw about forty bees on the outside. Hmmm. If I open this door to put this ONE bee OUTSIDE, about TWENTY of these other bees will get INSIDE.
 
So, balancing the bee container, being careful to keep the paper firmly over it, I went to the FRONT door, slipped on my wellington boots (I am not going outside in the middle of the dark night in sandals!), and walked the bee all the way around the house to the back deck, up the stairs and over to the hives. Not knowing which hive the bee came from, I lifted the paper off right between the two hives. I figured she could find her way home from there.

Back around the house and inside. Take off boots. Resume movie.

“Bzzz-bzzz-bzzz.”

This time, the bee was walking across the floor. Jar, paper, boots, around, let go, back around, boots off, movie.

“Bzzz-bzzz-bzzz.” This time, before I went out the front door I turned off the overhead light in the family room. I finished the movie (Freedom Writers – very good story, by the way) with no further inter-bzzz-ruptions.

Wish me luck figuring out how they’re getting inside…

BEEattitude for Day # 326:
       Blessed are those who avoid toxic poisons in their yards, for they shall have their plants pollinated by us.

_______________________________
Get Your Dog in My Next Book!
From now through the end of September, anyone who donates $10 to WAG, also known as the Walton Animal Guild, will be automatically entered in a raffle.
If you win, your dog will be in my next Biscuit McKee mystery!
The donate button is right on their home page
Every $10 donation is automatically entered in the drawing.
See Blog #324 for the details.

No comments: