Monday, September 5, 2011

Day #328 Yellow Hive - Yikes!

I’m wearing my bee suit every time I step near the hives now. I know I started out having a nice cup of tea each morning out there on the back deck, but for some reason the bees in the yellow hive have developed
an attitude !

You’d think they’d understand when I bring them sugar water that I’m trying to keep them from starving in these drought conditions.

The brown/white hive is very placid. I pull off the empty feed jar and they simply wait for me to put the new one in place.

But the yellow hive! Good grief! The second I remove the feed jar, thousands of them (well, okay, so it’s only dozens of them, or maybe a hundred, but they SOUND like thousands) boil out of the hole where the feeder jar goes. I then have a heck of a time getting the new jar in place without squashing bees. If they’d sit still for a few moments, we wouldn’t have this problem.

Sunday morning, two of them landed on my slacks and came inside with me. Fortunately I noticed them before any damage was done, either to them or to me. I walked back outside and they flew off. Whew!
Anyway, here’s the difference in the hives. I took the picture from my bay window at about 8:00 a.m. As you can see, the yellow bees are clustered on the front of their hive. The ones in the other colony are inside sleeping, no doubt.


BEEattitude for Day # 328:
       Blessed are those who relax when we fly around, for their lack of fear will not frighten us.

Fran’s bee.s: “Frighten you????? That’s easy for you bees to say. You oughta try seeing it from my standpoint! Why do you think I’m wearing that silly-looking suit all the time now?”

bzzz-bzzz-bzzz-bzzzzzz-bzz-bzzz (translation: We know you're not scared. You're simply being prudent.)

Have a safe holiday
_______________________________
Get Your Dog in My Next Book!
From now through the end of September, anyone who donates $10 to WAG, also known as the Walton Animal Guild, will be automatically entered in a raffle.
If you win, your dog (or your granddog, or the dog you had when you were a kid) will be in my next Biscuit McKee mystery!
The donate button is right on their home page
Every $10 donation is automatically entered in the drawing
See Blog #324 for the details.

No comments: