Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day #345 Home Grown Taters

Remember way back this past March (Day #157) when I planted those seed potatoes in an old plastic garbage can on my back deck?

It worked! The plants grew up over the summer (and probably were pollinated by my own bees). Well, harvest time has come. I just scrubbed off a few, and I’m planning to cook them for dinner tonight.

I thought you’d like to see what they look like. They're not very big -- that's a blue-ringed cereal bowl.

Are they just taters like any other taters? On the one hand, I guess I’d have to say yes. They're like any other good organic potato I could buy at a farmer's market. 

But on the other hand, they’re mine, and that makes them special.

Bet they’re gonna taste delicious!


BEEattitude for Day # 345:
       Blessed are those who relish the goodness of the earth, for they shall be constantly gratified.



__________________________
Green as a Garden Hose, the 3rd Biscuit McKee Mystery,
is now available in mass market paperback
from World Wide Mystery, a division of Harlequin.
(Go to www.eHarlequin.com and search for Fran Stewart)
or use this link:

_______________________________
Get Your Dog in My Next Book!
From now through the end of September, anyone who donates $10 to WAG, also known as the Walton Animal Guild, will be automatically entered in a drawing.
If you win, your dog will be in my next Biscuit McKee mystery!
The donate button is right on their home page
Every $10 donation is automatically entered in the drawing
See Blog #324 for the details.

2 comments:

The Cat Bastet said...

They look delicious! I'd never heard of this method before. What a great idea!

Fran Stewart said...

They were wonderful! The good thing about planting them in a garbage can is that I didn't have to worry about weeds and such. Of course, I did have quite a few great big ants who decided the bottom 8" of the can were designed just for them. But heck, I can share the room! I figure they were simply aerating the roots.